Human Resources Officer
Overview: Our client is a leading distributor of quality pharmaceutical and personal care brands in Barbados. Due to sustained growth in their market, they are seeking to appoint a strong HR Officer to assist the department head.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Responsible for assisting the Human Resources Manager in the development of the Human Resources function for the Group by implementing and managing a wide range of HR strategic and administrative duties.
• To act as liaison between HR and employees, ensuring smooth communication and prompt resolution of all requests submitted to HR and Payroll.
• To assist in creating policies, processes and related documentation and to assist with Payroll when required.
• Managing the onboarding and orientation process for all new hires.
• Managing the recruitment process for all entry level and supervisory positions to ensure the best candidates are recruited.
• Ensuring all required documentation, (contracts, job descriptions, background checks, aptitude tests etc. are accurate, completed, and documented.
• Conducting investigations and supporting all activities associated with the disciplinary process including disciplinary hearings, and preparation and issuing of subsequent documentation.
• Monitoring employee records in conjunction with the Payroll Department to ensure that disciplinary letters for absenteeism, tardiness and non-compliance with company policy.
• Preparing all termination documents for employees in compliance with Company policy and statutory regulations.
• Managing employee relations by making recommendations and providing support and guidance to managers and employees in order to provide a safe working environment for the employees and protect the Company from liability.
• Dealing with employee grievances promptly and in a manner which results in conflict resolution.
• Working with the HR Manager to ensure that all proper documentation of all formal disciplinary matters arising from incidents, concerns, investigations, and meetings are properly documented and resolved according to company policy, applicable laws and
collective agreements where applicable.
• Maintaining the performance management system for the organization.
• Assisting with developing and implementing employee relations activities geared towards creating and sustaining an engaging workplace.
• Participating in negotiations with the representative union by attending meetings and preparing the requisite documents prior to, and after each meeting.
• Ensuring that the terms and conditions of the Collective Agreement are adhered to and that any action by the Company or its members are in accordance with Labor Laws.
• Researching, preparing and coordinating all training and development activities in conjunction with the Human Resources Manager, to ensure that all training needs for the Company and employees are met by the stipulated deadlines.
• Ensure all requisite training is completed for all employees and documentation is completed.
• Continually analyzing departments and employees to identify skills gaps and subsequently developing strategic programmes and completing training.
• Developing and implementing internal training programmes for employees in line with organizational goals.
• Ensuring all employees are continually sensitized to all training.
• Ensuring all policies, procedures and payroll activities are in compliance with current Labor legislation as amended.
• Assisting with implementation and monitoring of policies etc.
• Ensuring that general Company and HR related policies, procedures and forms are implemented and maintained.
• Ensuring all policies are communicated to staff in a timely manner. Ensuring all requisite legislated policies are implemented.
Desired Skills & Education:
• Bachelor’s degree in human resources or a related field.
• Minimum of three (3) years’ experience in a similar role.
• Post graduate degree or Certification in Employee Relations or related field would be an asset.
• Comprehensive knowledge of and experience with Barbados Labor Legislation.
• Excellent knowledge of MS Office Suite, and the ability to use advanced MS Excel functions.
• High level of confidentiality and attention to detail.
• Excellent interpersonal, negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
• Good leadership, analytical and team-building skills.
• Good organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Ability to work with minimum supervision and produce results in a fast-paced environment.
• Some local travel required, must maintain a valid light goods license, and own a vehicle.